BACLG Inc is registered as a Public Benevolent Institution with the Australia Taxation Office.
Council together with the Community Administration Office manages and coordinates the delivery of all services including most non-essential services to the residents of the Community.
The specific roles of BACLG Inc include:
Administration and Financial Management;
Community Representation to State and Commonwealth Government Agencies;
Formal decision-making body;
Municipal Services - Planning, Development, Project Management, Infrastructure Maintenance;
Community Service Delivery – Community Resource Centre (Telecentre), Library;
Government Services Management – Centrelink Agency and Community Care Centre;
Commercial Infrastructure Development – General Store & Takeaway;
Management Project Support - Assistance in various government-funded Projects and/or Programs
As the largest remote Aboriginal community in Western Australia and the fact that surrounding outstations utilise the community as their regional service centre for the majority of their essential needs, it is imperative that services and facilities continue to be operational and effectively managed.
Creating a Better Future
VISION AND VALUES
A strong, engaged community creating a dynamic future.
To be the representative body that acts in the best interest of Bidyadanga Aboriginal Community and its residents, in order to meet their aspirations and goals, and deliver effective planning, coordination and administration including the monitoring and development of essential and semi-essential services so as to create employment opportunities and work towards creating a better future for our children, improved living standards and overall quality of life.
In 1802 a French Navigator by the name of Baudin sailed into La Grange Bay and named it after a French Mathematician in the Prussian Court.
Bidyadanga was officially created by the establishment of La Grange Mission in 1955 although it was settled around 1889 when a telegraph station was built at La Grange Bay. This station linked cables to Broome, Marble Bar and Perth. In 1931 the West Australian government set aside approximately 180 ha of land near a traditional meeting ground for a reserve and ration depot for Aboriginal people which was later taken over and managed as a Catholic Mission.
The first Aboriginal people near La Grange were the Nadja-Nadja (salt-water people who spoke the Karajarri language). The Mangala, Yulparija, Juwaliny and Nyanyumarta people came to La Grange from the desert and the coast.
The last Superintendent of La Grange Depot was Jan de Grys, who ran the post office and helped the local people build houses and supply government rations of flour, oatmeal, sugar, salt, tea, and tobacco. Francis de Grys was the wife of Jan and she worked as a nurse as well as teaching the children.
During this time, there were two camps at La Grange; one was Karajarri and the other Udialla who were moved to La Grange in 1948 by the government when the Udialla post was closed down. The Udialla mob included Mangala and Juwaliny language groups. Then when the Mission opened a mission school, the Nyangumarta people from Anna Plains relocated and the children began attending the school.
In 1961, Father McKelson came to be the parish priest. Father McKelson stayed for over 30 years and was instrumental in translating all five languages into English. He would speak in language at weekly services and was considered a true local, genuinely respected by his congregation.